Sunday, August 24, 2008

When advice... isn't

I'm scanning through the advice columns as I do every weekend (I'm too buys during the week). I generally like to see how the advisors respond, and weigh my own opinion with theirs. Sometimes I make a game of it and try to guess how they will respond, before I read the advice. Today was a little let down for me, though. I think Dear Abby dropped the ball. Here's the post in question:
DEAR ABBY: I am a 13-year-old girl. My parents own a small business, and I have to work there every day. The only time I get to see my friends is at school or if they visit me. I know my parents are trying to protect me, but I think I'm old enough to take care of myself. They promise that if I do my chores I can go see my friends, but after I have finished, they change their minds.

I think they are trying to keep me from having a normal lifestyle. Please help me. -- CAGED BIRD IN SACRAMENTO

The first thing I thought was maybe this girl is a trouble maker, or she's having problems at school. But then, I notice she says, "They promise that if I do my chores I can go see my friends, but after I have finished, they change their minds". So, basically, it seems her parents are lying to her. Obviously, we don't know for sure. We only have her side of the story, but now I'm agreeing with her that the parents may be a little too overprotective.

Now, Dear Abby's response starts off good. Read the response and see if you notice anything:

DEAR CAGED BIRD: Do your parents know and approve of your friends? Do they know their parents? Do they know where you will be going, how you will get there and back, and whether there will be supervision? Are they confident they can trust your word and that you will be back when you say you will be?

If the answer to these questions is "yes," then I agree, your parents are being overprotective. And further, it is wrong of them to make a promise to you and then break it. After all, trust works both ways.

The response starts off with good questions. And I agree with Abby, if the girl can say "yes" to all the questions, then it is probably that her parents are overprotective. But, did you notice that Abby doesn't actually give any advice? WTF? My response to Caged Bird would be very similar to Abby's, but I would end with this:
Speak to your school counselor, a trusted teacher, a family friend, or your clergy person. Explain the situation to them. Ask them to speak with your parents and explain how they are actually hurting you by not breaking their word to you and by not allowing you social time.

No comments: